Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pahking in Bahston...

Or, a better title for this post would be "no pahking in Bahston" - a much better description of the situation in this city. So, I mentioned in my last post how I went down to little Rhodie (for those unfamiliar with the geography and vernacular of the east coast, that would be Rhode Island) for a "mini intervention" on Thursday night. Well, when I finally made it back to my apartment Friday morning after driving aimlessly around Boston for an hour, I was running extremely late. So, rather than look for a parking spot on the street, I parked in the convenient Stop & Shop grocery store's lot across the street...I bet you all see where this is going. Of course by now you know I went out for a fun night of "swinging" last night - and those swingers know how to party! I was making new friends (surprised!?!), and started talking about driving to different places along the coast. It is at that moment, talking about driving my already over-the-miles-vehicle, that I realized it ran the very good risk of being towed, as it was past 11:00. I say my good-byes, walk briskly to the subway (at this point I am exhausted), and pray the entire ride home that my car is still there.

You know what I realized? No one is above the parking lot gods...they come in quickly and quietly in the dark, taking any vehicle hostage - it doesn't matter the make, year, license plate - nothing. No, to them, any car parked past that magical "towing hour" is game, and puts $110 right in their pockets.

What have I learned from this experience? That I'm scared shitless to pahk in Bahston, that's what. Now I never take any spot for granted. Come to think of it, I think I'll just park and leave it until I decide to move again. Yeah, that sounds about right. But, then again, I wonder what the bird poop situation would be like after 3 years...probably not good.

No comments: