Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Kristin's Corner

I don't know if anyone has ever visited the website overheardintheoffice.com, but if you haven't it's definitely worth checking out. One of my very best friends in Tennessee actually posted something on this website, which still remains up today. Because it has been one of the highlights of at least my professional career, I will share it here before moving forward.

Boss #1: So, you will be gone for the next 2 weeks for your wedding and honeymoon, right?
Employee (aka my friend): Yes, that's right.
Boss #2: And, when she gets she will no longer be a virgin.

And, with that statement, dear readers, my friend's sexuality hung over the table like a dark black cloud for the rest of the seemingly endless, uncomfortable meeting. So now you understand the premise behind this website. Check it out for hours of endless laughs and disbelief while you should be being productive at work.

Today I was sitting in my new office with my new colleagues at about 5:30, and a conversation began that somehow brought us to the topic of "who we have been told we resemble". Two of us with naturally curly hair (and I have to believe this is the ONLY reason it was said to me - at least that's what my mom told me) have both been told we looked like Chelsea Clinton. Enough said. Another was told she looks like a young Hilary Clinton. Again, enough said. No need to belabor these brief points of already dangerously low self esteem in our pasts. Our small conversation continues, after a few of the girls walk away. I continue with this enlightening conversation, pointing out that one time I was asked by an African American woman if I, too, was of that descent. I took this is an extreme compliment, and thanked her feverishly, but had to say that, no I am not. I am about as white and awkward as they come.

Of course, it was right at the point where I was talking about being asked this question that the other girls overheard the conversation, and commented that it seems whenever I join the conversation, it tends to take an interesting and unexpected turn. Well, ladies, I do what I can. The sad thing about it is, these are all true stories. No exaggeration or drama here....just true tales.

So, it seems that each day we will be gathering around my desk for story time, or what my co-worker has termed, "Kristin's corner". Future topics of "KC" will include, but are not limited to: why not to date a musician (or, more specifically, a drummer); my "Will & Grace" life; how to successfully get a man to go on a crazy rant about marriage and relationships; and how to politely remove yourself when your client grabs your leg and says he wants to take naked photos of you. Syllabus and coursework to follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to state for the record that much to my mother's dismay I was not a virgin when this conversation took place.

Also, those meetings were always endless and uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

20 years from now, you will remember those meetings with great affection.