Monday, May 12, 2008

Indian, chocolate chip cookies, and flowers

So I know you are all wondering what the heck these 3 things have in common. And, that's a very good and relevant question. Let me explain. I love this city. I am so happy I am here - it seems like it took me forever, but now that I'm here, it feels like I've been here for years. Like I've been at peace for so long. It's such a welcome feeling!

I am all about the small things in life. A phone call to say hello. A little note to say "I'm thinking about you". A flower. A rainbow. The ocean (which, I guess if you really think about it, is actually quite large). It is these small things that get me through - and have gotten me through - so many hard weeks and months. I often think that if you're looking for only the big things to happen in life, you're going to be constantly disappointed, because the big things don't always happen. There are small miracles waiting around every corner, every decision, every chance meeting. But you have to pay attention or you miss them.

So, some would say I get excited over really small things. And they're right. But it makes like so much more fun! Yesterday I took the T to Cambridge, where Harvard University is. I have been wanting to visit the campus since I was a child. There was just something about seeing Harvard. It was a beautiful day - the sun was shining, and people were out walking around, so I decided it would be my "Harvard" day. It turned out that it was Mayfest on Harvard Square, so there was tons of food, dancing, music, and shopping. SO COOL! Okay, so I'm totally going to be a girl here for second. I found these adorable dresses, and paid $32 TOTAL for 2! Get this - they were originally $180. EACH! That's quite a deal, huh? I know I was wicked pumped people! I have to wait until it's warmer to wear them, though...UGH!

After Harvard Square, I went to meet an old friend and his girlfriend for dinner at an Indian restaurant downtown JP. It was awesome! The food was fabulous - the service not as good, but the good company and great Indian food made up for it. When I came home, I stayed up late helping my roomie prepare for a job interview as a floral designer. Lots of talk about flowers, design, and STARs (it's an interview technique). I went to bed exhausted, but so fulfilled after a long day of walking/experiencing the city.

So, today, I went to grab lunch at the Pru. I decided that I would hit up the same place I had last time, because it's convenient, and they have the BEST chocolate chip cookies. EVER. I bought 2. One for me, and one for roomie to celebrate his interview. It was Heaven in every single bite. I'm not kidding. These cookies (Paradise Bakery) are soft, chewy, chocolately goodness. YUM!

I am heading into my second full week at my new job and in Boston. I have met some awesome people so far, and have already made some unforgettable memories. So right now, I seriously don't think it gets any better than this - Indian, chocolate chip cookies, and flowers! Oh yeah - Happy week of my birthday! YIPPEE!!!

No comments: