Monday, October 6, 2008

Still Hangin Tough...

I'm not even going to apologize for the lack of posts right now. I'm simply going to dive in like I haven't been gone at all...

So last weekend was probably the best weekend of my life. Seriously. There were so many things that make that statement true. First of all, on Thursday night, my best friend flew in from Knoxville. I hadn't seen her in at least 5 months, since before I moved to Beantown. Now, that might not seem like a lot of time to some people. However, I was used to seeing this particular friend at least once a month. I would travel down to Knoxville for work, stay with her and help her with her 2 wonderful children. Sometimes for a week. Sometimes more. We became a sexless lesbian couple - her husband is always out of town, so when I was there, we would run the house together. One gets the kids. The other gets dinner. We've been stuck on the couch with the flu together. She's become someone I simply cannot live without. I missed her terribly.

Before I went to pick her up at the airport, though, my new boy stops by the apartment to say hi. He begins to tell me about his day - about something he realized. After a lifetime spent loving women who need him, he was finding it hard to fall in love with me. Because I don't "need" him in the way he's used to. He realized, though, that love isn't based on filling someone's voids, but rather about sharing your strengths. He said he couldn't wait to run over and tell me all of this. That he's ready. To let go. To love me. That it's so clear to him now. That this is right. I smiled. And laughed. And felt something incredible move deep down inside. I was so glad he told me this. So happy he realized this before running away out of fear and the unknown. He kissed me - and ran off to the store. I stood there for a moment, unable to stop my world from spinning on all axis. This must be what pure happiness feels like.

Hmmm...still in a daze, I pick "KB" up from the airport and we immediately start cramming for the New Kids concert the following night. "Summertime", "One Song", "2 in the morning", "Don't Cry" - all of their new stuff that I needed to learn. We picked "J" up and went to a local Southie bar for some drinks, food, and karaoke. Good times were had by all. He even got up and did a little Eminem for me (I told you, he's perfect)!!!

The next day "KB" and I walked around Boston, bought some new clothes for the concert, laughed, got soaked in the rain - had a WONDERFUL day! But, all of that is nothing compared to what happened that night. The concert. We had to drive because the wait for a taxi was over an hour long. As I often do, I got lost in Boston. "J" was wonderful enough to talk us through getting there (this is definitely his strength over mine...). We find a spot to park and enter the TD Banknorth arena, which has never in its existence seen this much estrogen at one time. Women were wearing their old buttons, ripped jeans, high tops, side pony tails - it was awesome! Some were pregnant, all were close to our age - it was thousands of grown women who left their husbands at home with the kids. This equation always makes for a good time!

When the boys finally came out, we were holding onto each other and jumping like little school girls. I was immediately transformed to 4th grade when I was in love with Mark Sarzynski. Yes, Mark, you totally blew my mind that time! For 2 1/2 hours this madness continued. We danced. We sang. We cried. It was INCREDIBLE! No other band could - or will - ever be able to make me feel the way they do. We walked out singing the songs, dancing through the streets. We treated ourselves to some good 'ole DD for the ride home, got in the car, and turned up the New Kids.

Nothing could have brought us down from that buzz. Nothing still can. We are grown groupies and proud of it! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! Donnie, Danny, Jon, Jordan, and Joe - you guys definitely still have the right stuff! Thanks for making 2 women feel like giddy little school girls again. It's something that neither of us will soon forget.

1 comment:

Oneofeach said...

Awww...I have chills reliving the weekend!! It was definitely a weekend to remember! I'm glad I got to come and experience your life for a change...

look KP...BIG BEN, PARLIMENT!

I *heart* you! XOXO