Thursday, July 17, 2008

On the homefront

So, here I sit - hot, single and swine-less in Michigan.

It's always the same thing - I get really excited to come home, visit, and spend time with my family. Then, after a day (or less), I'm ready to leave. I can literally feel the crazy setting in. I start looking for somewhere to run. And I want to get there fast.

There are several reasons for this. First, I get bored so easily. I like to do things. Run. Go on bike rides. Enjoy people watching. There are not many opportunities for these things in the suburbs. It's the same people, driving the same cars, going to the same Panera every day. Oh - and a lot of chain restaurants. I have been so spoiled living in cities...

Second, my family is going through a transition right now. Actually, I'd say it's much more than a "transition", but since I'm simply posting a blog and not lying on a therapist's couch, I'll leave it there. This makes being home extremely uncomfortable. It's very strange, especially because this has always been a safe and comfortable place for me. And now it's anything but.

But, again, I love my family and friends. So, I'm filling my days spending as much time as possible with all of them. And writing my book. I have been writing quite a bit, and am pretty happy with the way it's turning out. It's strange, though. Writing about my experiences brings up emotions I haven't had to deal with. Right now, as you all know, I'm dealing with the loss of my latest relationship, but writing about the beginning. I've got so many conflicting emotions - reading through old emails, imagining our first kiss, remembering that new love feeling, and then hearing the words "demolition derby". But, I have to admit, I feel lucky that I'm not so jaded I can't write about all the good times.

Tomorrow I'll be hanging with my 6-year old cousin at her pool. Recently my dad was quizzing her on some math problems, and asked her what 15 plus 15 is. She replied 35. He said, "Actually, it's 30." Her reply? "Huh...they must have changed it then."

I would be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to spending an afternoon acting like a 6-year old. But, then again, it's not too far off from the way I spend most of my time...

No comments: