Saturday, July 12, 2008

The next chapter

So, I can FINALLY write about something that's been going on in my life. Now, I know that I have said I don't edit what I say here, but since this was about my career, I had to be careful who read what.

My first week here I met some awesome women at a networking event, and we became friends. They work at another agency in the city - one of our competitors. A few weeks ago, one of them (who is a director at the agency) sent me an email and asked me if I would be interested in working with them. I love these 2 women, and thought there was no harm in learning more. Well, one interview turned into 2 and a presentation in front of the agency, and then a job offer. I was floored. And flattered. The offer they made me is a considerable amount of money more than I was currently making, and I fell in love with some of the people on the team. So, I accepted.

Now, I know I have only been at my current job for a short time. But, after talking this over with several of the people I consider my "mentors", I decided this was the best decision for me. This is where it gets interesting.

The current agency does not handle people leaving well. Since I started, 2 people (in addition to me) have left. Both were messy, and neither were fun to watch. Needless to say, I didn't sleep for days before I had to put in my notice. I wanted to give them plenty of time, to be as respectful as possible. I chose yesterday afternoon.

A very long and messy story short: they asked me to leave immediately. I cleaned off my desk, and then sat down with the HR guy in his office before leaving. I have to stop here for a moment. I LOVE this guy. Him and I have developed a special bond, and I knew leaving him would be excruciating. But since I didn't work with him on a daily basis, it wasn't like that could keep me there. Point to note: he is the one who introduced me to Brit boy. I start to cry. This was brutal. We are both so upset. He tells me some awesome, wonderful, and humbling things. I tell him for the millionth time how sorry I am, but that I feel this is best for me right now. And that this was such a surprise to me. He walked me out, gave me a hug and a kiss, and I walked away.

But, here's the signature - and best - part of the story. While I was talking with him in his office, the management was telling the rest of the agency that it would be my last day. I'll give you a moment to digest that. I will repeat. WHILE I WAS STILL THERE. They (for some strange reason) decided not to wait until I had left the building. Apparently, they wanted to make it as uncomfortable and awkward as possible. Mission accomplished. I walked out of the office to stares and whispered "congratulations" and "we'll miss you". No good-byes. No account transitions. Nothing.

So now I have some time on my hands because I don't start my new job until August 6th. I think I'm gonna head down south to visit my best buds, and party Knoxville style, which is always my favorite way to party. Then I'm going to spend some time in Michigan with my family and friends. I should take this as an opportunity to re-connect with those people far away that matter most.

I spent today taking it easy. Oh - and I took my first hot shower in over a week! That was AMAZING!!! It sure is the little things in life that make all the difference....

It's crazy. I feel like I'm starting over again, even though I just did. I have a new apartment (which will be equipped with air conditioning, hot water, gas and cable - at all times). I have a new job. I am single. I have started writing my book. I'm settling. And - the incredible part about it - I'm not freaking out. It feels good. Actually, amazing. It feels fucking amazing. I'm starting a new chapter now - and it's all about me. I think this one's gonna be the best one yet!

No comments: