Monday, January 30, 2017

A Letter to a Trump Voter

Dear Fellow American,

Politically, there are likely few things you and I would agree on. I am -- at least I think I am -- what they call the “liberal elite.” For the past several years, I have sat comfortably in my urban home, watching as it increases in value, moved from one job to the next with ease and celebrated as we saw significant progression on “social” issues like the legalization of gay marriage -- and done all of that to the soundtrack of NPR. With Donald Trump’s election, I feel like my world has turned upside down.

Stay with me. I promise this is not going where you think it is.

Tonight, while waiting for my Sunday night programs to start, I turned on the Screen Actors’ Guild Awards. The actors for Stranger Things won for the “ensemble” category, and got up to give their acceptance speech. (Side note: If you have not watched the show, I highly recommend it -- it’s pretty freakin awesome. (We might be able to find something we can agree on after all!)). One of the actors appeared to go off script with some loud words about where we are as a country. No specific digs or names mentioned, but anyone with a pulse could figure out what he was talking about.

And, in that moment, it hit me. I finally got it.

You feel like your beliefs and ideologies are second-class citizens because every time you turn on the TV, watch a movie or pick up a paper the “other side’s” ideologies are in your face. (As I said earlier, there are likely few things we agree on politically, but this letter is not about that.) As the world -- America, more importantly -- grows increasingly more liberal, you feel like the things you believe are being threatened. And that makes you angry. And probably quite sad. And maybe even desperate.

I’m writing to you to say several things. First, I’m sorry. I know how it feels when what you feel so passionately is challenged or ignored. Or -- and I’m ashamed to write this -- belittled. I know I’m only one person from the other side and therefore can’t speak for everyone, but I feel like I speak for at least a few of us when I say we feel very strongly about certain things. (If you’re honest, you could probably say the same.) Which leads to us getting up on soapbox from time to time. And making broad generalizations about you, your world and your worldviews.

Second, I know there are things we have in common. If you are a parent, for example, I know you love your children with an intensity unmatched by anything else in this world. And that you would go to whatever lengths you thought necessary to protect them from harm. If you’re not a parent, I know you have had your heart broken, feelings hurt, felt joy and experienced pain. Guess what? So have I. I also need food to eat and water to drink. I get scared when I feel out of control and often wish I was more deserving of the life I was given.   

Third, I know you love this country. And I want you to know I do, too. More than I realized, actually. The freedom to speak, to vote, to question. To marry whomever I choose. Worship whichever God I choose (or reject). To be able to move freely, own a home and have children. I think there are things you love about this country that you fear are being threatened; I hope the reality is different.

I believe we can all live here together in peace. I believe people on my side can -- and should -- listen (really listen) to your fears. I also believe that you should be able to listen to ours. There are going to be things on which we disagree, sure. But by listening and hearing each other, I believe we can find some middle ground. Some middle ground that’s not extreme, but, rather, respectful.

I think we have found ourselves at an extreme. I think you needed to be heard, and someone was telling you -- finally -- that they were listening. I don’t blame you.

And, I hope you don’t hate me for this, but along with this apology comes a request. Our democracy isn’t always perfect and definitely needs some fine tuning. But it is far better than what most have. You will likely be getting things that make you happy with this administration, and, after eight years of feeling the opposite, I understand that you will want to celebrate those victories. And, even though we will likely disagree on what victory looks like, I understand where you will be coming from. That said, all I ask is that you remember why you love this country. Why we all love this country. And, if something challenges those freedoms or the bedrock of our democracy, please stand up. We are America. The good and the bad. All of us. We can make or break this country, and I believe that together, we are strong enough to make it. But we have to do it together.

I’m sorry for the role I have played in creating a separated America. I’d like to reach across the aisle, find the things we can agree on, talk through those we don’t, and decide -- together -- to keep America great.  

Sincerely,

A strong, passionate and humbled liberal

No comments: