Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Are you single?"

I apologize for the lack in posting here. Life has been a little hectic lately - new job, new apartment - I never do anything small. So, needless to say, I've been busy.

I am now living in Southie. For those unfamiliar with Boston, that's how locals refer to the area of South Boston. Think Good Will Hunting. The bar where they hang out in the movie is only a couple blocks away. The people here have wicked Boston accents. It's a little rougher around the edges than Newbury Street. They say things like "pahk," "cah," and "hahvahd." It's like a whole other culture here. And I love it.

Our place is one block from the beach. There are always people running, playing volleyball, having picnics, and walking their dogs. Which is where this story begins.

I'm out with Ella one of my first nights here. And, since the ratio of guys to girls in Southie is like 10 to 1, I'm always paying attention. (For the record, the ratio of good-looking, sexy guys to not is like 9 to 1 - you do the math). Anyways, I'm walking Ella and bump into a guy walking his dog, LuLu. We start talking, and I mention that just moved to Boston, and that I was even newer to the neighborhood. He starts telling me about pizza places, cool neighborhood bars, local stores...then asks me a crucial question: "are you single?" I may have come across too desperate here, when I answered with an exuberant, "YES!" In retrospect, this may have been the problem...

He begins telling me about his fiance, and the upcoming wedding. He proceeds to tell me about his single brother who treats women like shit, and his attractive friend, Dave, who lives across the street from me. "He's the good-looking guy with salt-and-pepper hair that drives the blue BMW"...my ears perk up. "Salt-and-pepper hair, you say?" We walk around several blocks and stop in the local store that gives treats to all the neighborhood dogs. He buys milk and a box of cereal. He tells me about his job. And his fiance's job. And how they got LuLu from the local animal rescue. And that Dave just moved in with his girlfriend. This conversation takes us to his door, where he finally introduces himself. I do the same.

He says it was nice to meet me, and that he'll see me around. I walk away. Stunned. Not only did I walk away from this conversation without the name of a good Chinese restaurant, but now my relationship (or lack thereof) status is going to be a widespread joke at the local bahs. It'll be under the heading "how to get out of an awkward conversation with an overly-eager single midwest girl"

I have yet to see my new friend again. He must be busy with his "fiance". Just like Dave is busy with his "girlfriend". But, that's okay. I've been busy with my courses at Hahvahd anyways.

No comments: